|| Role Overview:
• To provide a cost conscious and safe engineering service to a section of works
• Prepare documentation for works in the Inlet Channel to Christmas – single shift
• Transfer across to the tunnel for the double shift work on the tunnel excavation
• Continue on the tunnel for the tunnel lining and then shaft lining
• Preparation of method statements, TWOSAs, ITAs, etc for Inlet Channel
• Briefing of the gangs on the methods of work
• Set a high personal example of safety and environmental behaviour.
• Supervise chainperson, assistant and site engineers.
• Monitor the work under their control to ensure that any unsafe work conditions and non compliance with company policies and procedures are promptly remedied.
• Maintain good working relations with client / designer / RE, together with our supply chain.
• Advise engineers on setting out methods and techniques.
• Ensure that the 3D information drawings and specification documents contain sufficient, accurate information for construction of the works. Formally request any missing information in sufficient time to allow the programme to proceed without delay.
• Ensure that works are accurately and clearly set out before work is programmed to commence, allowing time for independent checking where required.
• Communicate with foremen and gangers to ensure full understanding of information provided.
• Confirm in writing, on the same day, any verbal instructions received from the client / designer / RE’s staff and ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained.
• Arrange formal checking of setting out and ensure check request form is completed.
• Ensure reasonable survey book standards and daily diaries are maintained by engineers.
• Ensure that inspection and test plans are completed and digitally recorded as required by the PMP / Specification, including a check of dimension accuracy and quality.
• Prepare 4 weekly programmes in conjunction with the section foreman, coordinated with overall site programme and ensure necessary resources available with sub agent / agent.
• Monitor 4 weekly programme, mark up progress for review at the weekly site review meeting.
• Prepare written risk assessments and method statements for the control of the works.
• Keep a full and accurate daily site diary, including any changes/variations, subcontractors attendance, and records of work related discussions with client / designer / RE / project team.
• Carry out material take off and requisitions as requested by sub agent / agent.
• Ensure all delivery tickets are cost coded and passed to accounts dept. for processing.
• Ensure that testing / sampling of materials is carried out as required by the specification.
• Order materials and maintain register of all orders placed and confirmed.
• Carry out other relevant duties as required from time to time.
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to safety
• Contribute to safety initiatives
• Lead by example
• Proactively take measures to eliminate/ minimise potential environmental impacts
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to environmental issues
• Actively participate in the identification of Environmental hazards and implement site control and preventive measures
• Follow BMB management systems
• Be responsible for the quality of your own work
• Ensure continuous improvement
• Understands key milestones and priorities
• Work to the deadlines required by the programme
• Produce reports on progress and identifies “change “and shortcomings which require action.
Summarise quantities objectively, with an eye on apparent anomalies for simple programming.
Produce and update short term (4-6 weeks) programming, using Company system
• Act in the best interests of the Project in all dealings with the client, suppliers, workforce and public.
• Provide, maintain and support access to accurate contract and Company information.
• Interrogate written and verbal information for completeness, consistency and accuracy.
• Deliver effective briefings and liaise well with clients, vendors and other stakeholders.
• Able to convey a clear message in writing.
• Be aware of effect of risk on the programme and financial outcome of the project.
• Be aware that risks are shared under the contract and which ones are relevant to your particular element of your project
• Read procedures and guidance and receive basic explanation/discussion from Sub Agent/Agent/QS.
• Support trainee engineers in their understanding of risk management.
• Provide guidance, coaching and mentorship to junior engineers to ensure they have understanding and are supported.
• Carry out duties Right First Time.
• Ensure that any outstanding snagging/defect correction work is notified to your line manager
Details of experience and knowledge:
• Successful experience at site engineer level.
• Government legislation and Company policy on all matters relating to safety and environment.
• Thorough knowledge of construction procedures and working methods.
• Contract requirements relevant to current construction contract.
• Ability to record resource outputs.
• Appreciate the need for temporary works and any outside influences affecting site operations.
• Understand, and check where necessary, all schedules such as reinforcement drawings, drainage, landscape etc.
• Fully proficient in all aspects of materials sampling and testing.
• Develop ability to monitor and interpret results and act on information.
• Knowledge of geotechnical issues, plant and materials.
• Ability to identify ambiguities in the contract information.
• Ability to identify and address errors at the design stage or problems encountered during construction.
• Substantial knowledge of method and production output across an appropriate range of the business operations and familiar with commonly used specifications.
• Use this knowledge to plan routine jobs and determine the best process and procedure to mitigate key engineering and quality risks.
• Knowledge of temporary works in order to take on role of TWC
Qualifications & Skills
• CP2 Confined space training will be required. This can be arranged on site.
• Qualified to ICE Technician or Incorporated level or equivalent (preferred).
• Knowledge of Civil Engineering sufficient to attain Chartered member level of ICE. Able to support learning & institution recognition for others as delegated engineer
• Good attendance and timekeeping essential
• Able to work collaboratively within a team to achieve deadlines
• Promote and maintain a positive safety culture on the project
• Do not ignore unsafe behaviour
• Familiarity with civil engineering methods of construction, Skill in updating, maintaining, operating and evaluating all Bentley software and related equipment
• Ability to use other basic software to carry out engineering duties e.g. LSS, AutoCAD 3D civil, revit structures etc.
• Ability to manage surveying operations in line with best practice